Tuesday, October 9, 2012

If I was President...

With the upcoming election of President I've been thinking what I would do to improve things within our nation. Here's my list of things I'd do: 1. Get us out of debt! I would do this by temporarily suspending some programs, which ones? I guess I'd need to look at all of the government funded programs to decide. I would keep W.I.C, food stamps and medicaid for certain because so many people are unemployed or under employed and no one should have to starve and go without medical attention because of a poor economy. I would most certainly withdraw all government help from large corporations. I think the bailouts were one of the very worst things that we've done (next to the Vietnam and Iraq wars of course). I would also issue a flat tax for all businesses and citizens. It would start out around 5% and hopefully over the years in office I would be able to lower it to 2 or 3%. There would be no more tax loop holes or write offs to deal with and everyone would pay, rich people included.I would then take that money and repay China and all other nations we're in debt to and pay them off A.S.A.P! 2. Stay out of conflicts in other countries(unless there is genocide or direct hostility against us of course). The United States is a sovereign nation and not a police nation employed by the U.N. 3. Speaking of the United Nations I would reject their bills that take the rights of parents away from raising their children. Namely, I would reject the Rights of a Child amendment and the law taking away rights of parents for disabled children. Children are born to parents and not the government and parents should decide how to raise them. 4. Pass legislation that states that members of the congress may not make more money than a newly appointed school teacher. 5. Term limits for Representatives and especially Senators. Orin Hatch (of Utah) has been a senator for over 30 years and when he ran against his first opponent Frank Moss his campaign was that the 20 years Senator Moss served was way too long. That smacks of hypocrisy don't you think? The term limit should be 8 years for a senator and 6 to 8 for representatives. There are so many men and women with good ideas that would help their own states and our country the deserve a chance to try but, if the same people are staying in for 30+ years those voices won't be heard. 6. When our debt is under control, I would like to take any extra funding we might have to invest in the sciences. I am particularly interested in coming up with creative solutions for our increasing energy consumption/needs. I would also love to find and explore planets and moons that we could someday colonize. I personally would find it very exciting to live on/visit Mars. 7. Make the United States great once again in producing and not consuming. I would do this by rewarding companies that choose to stay here and employ our fellow countrymen and women. I would also penalize companies who take their factories to China, Mexico, South America and any other country outside of the U.S. I would also be specific and say that it needed to be one of the 50 states to qualify. Those are all the things I can think of for now. I really wish that one of our presidential candidates had these kind of things in mind but, what do I know? I'm just a taxpaying, middle income mom! ;-)

1 comment:

mandy_moo said...

I especially like #5 and #7 :)